Mike was born in Eugene, Oregon in 1954. He married his beautiful wife Brenda in December of 1977 and they have two very special children. Allen Sabo was born in 1981 and Emily Sabo Robinson was born in 1984. Emily and her husband live in Bartlesville, Oklahoma with their two children, Makaylee Grace and Caedmon Michael. Emily’s husband, Colby, is the Head Wrestling Coach at Oklahoma Wesleyan University.
After graduating from high school in Colorado Springs, CO in 1973, Mike attended Howard Payne University in Brownwood, Texas, graduating in 1978 with a degree in Theology and a minor in Psychology. From there, Mike attended Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Ft. Worth, completing a Master of Religious Education degree in 1981. Driven to learn, Mike has since completed more than 250 hours of Church Study Course Curriculum Continuing Education and recently completed one Unit of Clinical Pastoral Education at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, Mo.
Mike brings a tremendous amount of church experience to Evergreen, with his previous church work including:
- Fairmont Park Baptist Church – La Porte, TX – Minister of Youth and Education
- FBC Old Ocean, TX – Minister of Music and added Education four years later
- Bayshore Baptist Church, La Porte, TX – Minister of Education and Administration
- Woodlands Parkway Baptist Church – The Woodlands, TX – (Now Stonebridge Church) – Minister of Music and Education
- FBC – Herford, TX – Minister of Music and Education
- Skelly Drive Baptist Church, Tulsa, OK – Minister of Music and Family Ministries
- Faith Baptist Church, Broken Arrow, OK – Worship Pastor (Part Time)
Over the years of growing experience, Mike has found his heart growing in its love for interaction and ministry with and to Senior Adults. He enjoys reminding them of their value, works to help them realize their God-given giftedness, and then sets out to help them find opportunities to invest themselves in God’s work, exercising the gifts they have been given. Throughout his ministry work, Mike’s been drawn to also serve through music.
Mike enjoys singing, playing the guitar, playing racquetball, landscape and garden work, fishing, and his grandkids.
You might enjoy knowing these fun tidbits about Mike: He once sang in the Sydney Opera House in Australia, with the Singing Men of Oklahoma group. He toured with Wayne Watson (well known, successful recording artist) as a member of the Continental Singers, in 1975. Mike has lived in both Germany and Okinawa. And, he rolled his car the very same week he got his driver’s license.